Mercy Receives Nearly $5 Million from the Carl Gellert and Celia Berta Gellert Foundation
Mercy High School is pleased to announce that it has received a generous grant from the The Carl Gellert and Celia Berta Gellert Foundation in the amount of $4.75 million – money that will be allocated for the school’s Capital Campaign for an Athletic and Student Life Center and a new endowed scholarship in the name of the Gellert Foundation. Click HERE to read more about the grant.
Mercy High School, Burlingame is in the quiet phase of the Building the Dream campaign to build an Athletic and Student Life Center inclusive of a gym, pool expansion and student life space on campus.
Mercy High School, Burlingame is the only Mercy sponsored high school within the United States that does not have a gym. It is also the only Bay Area Catholic high school within the Archdiocese of San Francisco, Diocese of San Jose and Diocese of Oakland without a gymnasium and an indoor space that will accommodate school-wide event and comprehensive wellness and athletic programs. This is an equity issue as an all-girls school. All-girls schools traditionally have been underrepresented and under supported when compared to our all-boys and co-ed institutions. It is incredibly important to advocate for Mercy and our students to ensure a strong future for Mercy High School, Burlingame.
We look forward to building a space that will reflect the beauty of our historic ‘oak-clad acres’, and honor the deep sense of community of Mercy High School, Burlingame.
- What will the Athletic and Student Life Center be used for?
- What is the timeline for construction?
- What will the Center feature?
- Will the school increase enrollment after the new Center is built?
- Will it affect parking?
- How will current traffic issues be addressed, and will future impacts be mitigated?
- Do the Sisters of Mercy support the project?
- Will members of the community be able to use the athletic center facilities?
- How can neighbors receive information or contact the school regarding questions or feedback during the process of building the Athletic and Student Life Center?
- What are the plans to protect the tree canopy and replace any lost trees?
For Our Neighbors
Campaign Steering Committee Members
Penny Stack Alexander '78, Chair
Bonnie Pors Bertetta ‘55
David Castagna P '23
Kristy Furrer Crouch ‘82
Patricia Ivancich Dassios ‘97
Cindy McDonald Dunleavy ‘81
Laurie Gomes, P '12, '16
Mary Schaffer Kircher ‘78
Mike Pearl, P '24, '26
Laura Hughes Reilly, P '19, '21
Catherine Dunleavy Rosaia ‘72, P '99
If you would like to invest in our Campaign, please contact:
Director of Mission Advancement and Marketing
Mary Lund, P '06, '08
Planned Giving and Annual Giving Officer
Natalie Cirigliano Brosnan '02, Ed.D,
Head of School